Friday, November 14, 2014

Week 10 - Saving and Drives


I  showed the first graders a picture of two elephants I drew on the computer about seven years ago...before some of them were even born! How was I able to show them this illustration after seven years? I SAVED IT!

I try to equate the drives and saving process to something more familiar to them...a house. I tell them that the computer is like a house with several different rooms (drives). Some of the rooms are off limits (like an office or their parents' room). Some are open for everyone to enjoy (like the family room). And some are just for them (like their own bedroom). To save a project, they must follow a series of five steps to get into their room and put that project into a drawer where it will be kept safe. They must follow these steps to keep the project safe (save it). Again, it's tough concept to understand, but they'll get there! Even if they don't have the memory of an elephant.